Home / House Insurance / Buildings Insurance: New Home Extensions Will Require More Buildings and Contents Insurance

Buildings Insurance: New Home Extensions Will Require More Buildings and Contents Insurance

Expanding your house is of course cheaper than buying and moving into a bigger house and therefore the new building rules about to come into place that will allow homeowners to extend their homes or business concessions without being required to apply for a planning license is welcome news. While many people will rush to take advantage of this 12-month window period, they forget that they need to apply for building insurance during the building of the house and after the building is completed.

Many people feel that extending their house is a small matter as compared to building a house and feel that they do not need to inform their insurance companies of the work that is going on. But this is skewed thinking because just as in a new building project, workers on the building need insurance against injury, the building materials will need insurance against theft and the building itself against the elements of nature.

Actually if you think of it more, a house extension project poses more risks than a new-house-building project because chances of injuries, fires and loss or damage of property increases when parts of the building are being destroyed to make way for extensions. This is because the house already contains occupants, house workers and sometimes pets. They may not be conversant with safety precedencies and any emergencies that may occur when a building is being destroyed.

The house also needs content insurance as it already contains household property worth a fortune that faces the risk of theft and damage by the elements like rain, strong winds and sunshine especially after the roof or walls are removed to make way for the extension. Experts suggest moving your property away from the action spots but of course, it is not always practical to move your family and property away from those parts of the house for the duration of the building extension project.

Although many construction firms often have building insurance for their workers, they do not cover your house in the event of fire, household property loss or damage, and injury to yourself, your family or pets. As said earlier in the article, they also do not cover the theft of your building materials and machinery.

After the house is completed, the owner needs to increase the property insurance because the larger house is worth more. Ultimately, a bigger house is going to contain more content.

During these hard financial times, many people opt to extend their homes other than build a new one. In fact, for every person who builds a house, a lot of others extend their. This is because extending has more advantages than building. For one it is a better use of space. Many people have big compounds that are not being utilized properly. If you love your neighborhood but hate your small house, extending the house will kill two birds with one stone. You can continue staying in the neighborhood while enjoying a bigger house. This also means that your children can continue studying in the same schools.

In order to enjoy all these advantages of extending, then you need to take care of the content insurance side of things. Visit your building insurance agent and get advice concerning how you can secure your investment as it grows.

About mbuoti

Check Also

Landlords HMO House Insurance

It is no secret that Insurance is largely calculated based on the postcode of the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *